Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Pier at Night

Last night I went to the pier with my friend. (Shocking, right?) We were facing the north, looking at Long Beach and its surroundings. There were so many lights, whether in the ports or on the oceanic oil rigs off of the coast. But when we turned around to leave, the other side of the pier was pitch black. My friend was paranoid about the never-ending blackness while I was captivated by its untouched essence. In my eyes, the darkness of night is much more beautiful than a night lit up by the hands of humans. (Unless it is Christmas time and there are pretty, energy-efficient lights up). 

I am terrified of things that lurk in the dark, but somehow I feel that the dark is a beautifully, natural idea. Most people do not realize that the dark does not have to be so dark. City lights are just as pollutive as carbon dioxide. Light pollution hides the natural light of stars. That is one of the many reasons why cities disappoint me so. The best lights are those that are millions or even billions of miles away that are so bright that I can see them here on this earth. It's fascinating that those balls of immense, yet distant energy can shine through to my heart. City lights are only as good as their expenses. The night's stars are extraordinary in every way imaginable.


So when you walk out to the edge of your pier, make sure to notice the stars, if there are any. Make a wish upon a star and make a pledge to preserve their path to your soul. Don't let those city lights keep you from seeing the original night life.

Merri Lightbody

No comments:

Post a Comment